Tuesday, February 06, 2018

They Paved Paradise To Put Up A Parking Lot



I was walking down an aisle at the Goodwill in Fort Collins when I looked up and saw this hanging from the ceiling.  It stopped me in my tracks.  I remember this building. It was one of the Goodwill stores that my mother bought our clothes from when I was a child.  It was also the first Goodwill store in Denver.  I loved that building.  It was big and old with creaky wooden floors and smelled of  wool clothing that had been on the hangers too long mixed in with the smell of dust and old books.  I am not sure when they tore this building down but the land is now a parking lot.  So much of old Denver gone now just so developers could make money.  It breaks my heart.

2 comments:

Ally Bean said...

Isn't it amazing what is saved and what is torn down? I understand how some buildings are a health hazard now, but then some buildings are left standing even though they appear to me to be in disrepair, too. I suppose it all has to do with who owns the land, and how greedy he or she is.

la peregrina said...

Yep.