Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sweet, Sweet, The Memories You Gave To Me

Out of the clear blue of the western sky comes...Sky King!


One of my first women role models was a teenage girl named Penny King, niece of pilot and rancher "Sky" King. Penny was brave, resourceful and, the thing I admired most, a pilot herself. I envied that ability and the fact that she got to fly the Songbird, Sky's Cessna T-50 Bobcat or Cessna 310B, depending on which episode you were watching.  She, along with Amelia Earhart, sparked my interest in aviation.

Today I learned that Gloria Winters, the actor who played Penny died back on August fourteenth at age 78 or seventy-nine. She started acting as a child and retired from acting after Sky King ended. Although she is now gone, she will live forever in my heart.

NY Times obituary.

An interview with Gloria Winters.

Information about the show here.

Watch episodes of Sky King here.

No comments: