Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Sarah Palin Called Me! (not)

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.
-Plato

Primary run-off elections were yesterday and since I wanted to vote in them I switched my political registration from undeclared to Republican a few months ago. I did not know this meant I would be receiving tons of mailings and phone calls from the Republican candidates. I would pitch the mailings before leaving the Post Office and let any phone call that came up "out of area" or "toll free number" go to the answering machine.  One caller was Sarah Palin endorsing one of our local candidates. I would have been impressed,  (1) if it hadn't been a recording and, (2)  if I wasn't  sure that she wouldn't be able to pick the man out of a crowd even if someone offered her a million dollars.

Now I am sure that if I had registered as a Democrat I would have received just as many phone calls and pieces of mail which shows just how unimaginative both parties are these days. For the most part registered Republicans vote for Republican candidates and registered Democrats vote for Democratic candidates. The smart thing to do would be to send out mailings and make phone calls to the voters who are registered as Independent, Libertarian, Green Party, Tea Party, or any other non-Republican/ Democrat affiliation. This lack of creative thinking is the major reason why  I will be heading back up to the court house tomorrow to change my registration back to undeclared.

No comments: