Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da, Life Goes On

Well, I'm back. What did I do while I was gone, you may ask?

Well, I worked at the library every day including Saturdays taping bar codes onto library books and entering said books into the Northwest Kansas Library System database. I am happy to report that we have reached the point where it no longer seems to be an overwhelming job. We have finished Adult Fiction and are now working on Adult Nonfiction. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Then I spent a few minutes each night sitting in a lawn chair outside under the ornamental pear tree sipping a Bloody Mary* and listening to the sounds of the cicadas in the trees and the workmen on rooftops as they hammered new shingles onto all the hail damaged roofs in town. It did get loud but sometimes I also heard the calls of robins, doves and other birds as I sat out there staring up into the blue Kansas sky. Just the other night I watched a flock of 20 to 30 Nighthawks as they silently winged their way eastward. There are advantages to living out here.

Let's see, I've been watching the new episodes of Mad Men. Sundays are turning into my favorite night.

Lastly, my husband and I decided that it is time to get a new dog as Duke is starting to drive us crazy. He is no longer grieving Kate and wants us to play with him all the time, which is something we cannot do, so it is definitely time to get him another playmate. The hunting season is almost upon us and he also needs a new hunting partner. After an intense period of research my husband decided that a French Brittney (Duke is an American Brittney just like Kate and Emma were.) was the dog for us. We have put a deposit down on a puppy and will be bringing our new little girl home in about a month. It will be wonderful to have some puppy energy in the house again.

Life does go on.



* 1 glass
4 ice cubes
1 shot glass full of Vodka
5.5 oz. can of tomato juice (I buy small cans because they stay fresh)
1/4 teaspoon of horseradish
2 wedges of lime
Worcestershire sauce
Tapatio hot sauce (Or whatever brand you like. I prefer the taste of Tapatio.)
celery salt

Put ice cubes and then Vodka into glass. Add horseradish and stir until horseradish has mostly dissolved in the Vodka. Add tomato juice and stir again. Add three dashes of Worcestershire sauce, two to three dashes of hot sauce and two shakes of celery salt. Squeeze the juice from the lime wedges into the glass and then add the wedges to the glass too. Stir one last time.

Note: My tongue says the two hots give the Bloody Mary a "fuller" flavor.

No comments: