Monday, September 07, 2009

It's Labor Day

And that means most people in the US of A are enjoying the last day of a three day weekend. According to the United States Department of Labor:

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.


I'm willing to bet five dollars that 99.9% of the American population does not know this. I was part of that 99.9% until I Googled the words Labor Day yesterday.

Today, as I enjoy my Labor Day feast, I will pause and raise my beer glass in honor of all the the working men and women whose have contributed to the well-being of our country. Maybe, in a nod to the contributions made to the labor movement by the International Ladies Garment Workers Union (ILGWU), I will sing their anthem.



Look for the union label
When you are buying a coat, dress or blouse.
Remember somewhere our union's sewing
Our wages going
To feed the kids and run the house
We work hard but who's complaining?
Thanks to the I.L.G. we're paying our way
So, always look for the union label
It says we're able to make it in the U.S.A.

No comments: