Tuesday, May 31, 2005

And What Did You Do This Memorial Day Weekend?

Just back from a long Memorial Day weekend in Denver. We did all the usual things; hung out with family, grilled up hamburgers and hot dogs, watched the Indy 500, talked about the Boulder Boulder, and went shopping.

For unexpected weirdness my dog Kate started walking around with her hind quarters kind of hunched up Saturday. We thought she had an infected scent gland but the vet we took her to said that wasn't the problem. He thought it was either a broken or sprained tail. A dog breaking her tail is like a human breaking her little toe so there was nothing he could do but up her pain medication for a few days. We still had not figured out how Kate could have broken her tail right up to the moment Duke came racing up to me and jammed his snout into the side of my leg. Not only did it hurt it almost bowled me over. Mystery of broken tail solved.

The Indy 500 was interesting this year because for the first time since Janet Guthrie raced in 1979 a woman, Danica Patrick, participated. Robby Gordon, president of the NASCAR chapter of the He-man Women Haters Club, complained that Patrick had an unfair advantage over the male racers because she only weighted 100 pounds. In a I'm going to take my ball and go home moment he went on to say, "I won't race against her until the IRL does something to take that advantage away."

I must point out that the weight differences of the drivers has never come up in a race before this. I must also point out that Danica Patrick finished fourth yesterday and was named Rookie of the Year. And I must point out that Dan Wheldon, a Brit, won the race. The first time a Brit has won the Indy 500 since the late Graham Hill did it in 1966. I wonder how many people are bitching about that too.

Update:
Gordon takes it all back.
He also wins Whine Of The Week from NBC Sports.

No comments: