Thursday, April 21, 2005

Do You Believe In Ghosts?



This is Alexander Gardener's Civil War photo Death of a Rebel Sniper taken at Gettysburg. I have seen this photo's so many times that now each time I see it, it is like looking at a old family keepsake. I was reading a piece in the May/June 2005 issue of The History Channel Magazine about Civil War snipers the other night and this photo was on the fourth page of the article. As I examined the photo for the hundredth time I was startled to see the face of a man in pile of rocks behind the rifle. The face, tilted to the right and bearded, is on the rock just above and behind the rifestock and hammer.

At Gettysburg where, as one ghost tour site says, on July 1 - 3, 1863, 51,000 Americans, North and South, became casualties, spirit energies still run high. In the fields where they were slaughtered, in the Gettysburg houses where the wounded were sheltered and died, in the back yards where they were buried, strange, unexplainable events that can only be attributed to the paranormal, continue to occur.

That would explain why there might be a ghost in this photo. But, is there really a face in the photo? If so, it must have always been there. Why am I just seeing it now?

Update:
I've had people tell me they are not sure where to look for the face in the above photo. Here is a smaller version with the area where the face is blotted out.


*

No comments: