Thursday, October 30, 2003

of ghoulies and ghosties

Cannot let Halloween pass with out at least one true ghost story.

Years ago my mother and I took a scenic drive through New England. One stop was the village of Concord in Massachusetts. We liked Concord so much we stayed three nights and two day at the historic Concord Inn. The first night we slept there I woke up in the middle of the night wondering why my mother was sitting at the foot of my bed. I remember what a struggle it was for me to wake up. I felt like I was drowning in sleep and fighting my way back up to consciousness. When I finally awoke enough to look at the end of my bed I could see no one but I had the distinct feeling that someone was sitting there. I was confused and looked over to my mother’s bed expecting it to be empty and was surprised to see her form bundled up in the bedding. The second I realized she was still in her bed, whatever was sitting at the end of my bed disappeared. The next morning I said nothing to my mother because I did not want to frighten her.

The next night I again woke up but this time because I had the feeling someone was standing at the head of my bed and staring down at me. Again I had to struggle to wake up and as I did I could feel whomever standing there turn and walk away from the bed and into the bathroom. When I was fully awake I looked over at my mother’s bed and saw that she was asleep in it. I then got up to check to see if anyone was in the bathroom but, I can’t explain this, when I got closer to the bathroom I knew no one was in there so I turned and walked across the room to the door to the hallway. As I passed my mother’s bed I woke her up and she asked me what I was doing. I said checking to see that the room door was locked. It was and I went back to bed and slept though the rest of the night.

The next day at lunch I told my mother that I thought our room was haunted and she surprised me by saying she knew. How? Because she woke up that first night and saw something sitting on the end of my bed. Why didn’t she tell me? Because she did not want to frighten me. Her instincts were right, after hearing this I was very, very frighten. The whole thing was creeping me out. We had eaten dinner at the hotel dining room the last two nights and had become friendly with our server so we decided to ask her if the hotel was known to be haunted the next time we saw her.

When we got back to the hotel around four in the afternoon, I looked into the dining room on my way up to my room and saw our server setting up the room for dinner. I went over to her and, after a little small talk, asked her if the hotel was haunted. She hesitated and then said yes, the daughter of the man who built the hotel supposedly haunted the bridal suite.
“Where is the bridal suite?”
"Right above your room."
I looked at her stunned and say, “Well, she’s dropping down to visit me,”
I told her what was happening and then went up to my room to get ready for dinner.

By the time we returned to the dining room the story of my encounter with the hotel ghost had spread to the other dinners and I was asked many questions about what I had seen. I was hesitant to talk about it because the more I talked about it the more anxious I got. By the time I went to bed that night I was a wreck and lay in bed silently asking the ghost not to visit me that night because she was scaring the bejesus out of me. She must have been listening because she did not visit and I slept through the night.

No comments: